Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
$59,802.68 - $68,060.72 annually
Make a difference in this rewarding career opportunity
The BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) is a unique program of government tasked with the responsibility of preventing and managing wildfire on the landscape. With a workforce of approximately 1600 the program’s staff are dedicated to undertaking the BCWS mandate in delivering effective wildfire management and emergency response support to protect values, while encouraging sustainable, healthy and resilient ecosystems.
The Wildfire Technician assists with the planning and implementation of wildfire preparedness, response and prevention initiatives with clients, partners and stakeholders in addition to performing a core set of functions related to fire response and fire management. This position also exercises authority as a designated official delegated under the Wildfire Act and the Wildfire Regulation
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Degree in a field related to forestry, resource management or equivalent knowledge, plus one (1) year related experience; OR,
- Technical diploma in a field related to forestry, resource management, or equivalent knowledge, plus three (3) years related experience; OR,
- Grade 12 plus five (5) years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and training; AND,
- Related experience is defined as operations or other disciplines related to natural resource management.
- Minimum two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Valid class 5 driver licence.
- Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Registered or immediately eligible for registration with the Association of British Columbia Forest Professionals (ABCFP) as a Registered Forest Technologist (RFT) or Registered Professional Forester (RPF).
- Experience working with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Incident Commander 3 or higher (or an equivalent).
For more information and to apply online by November 1, 2020, please go to: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/71723